Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dina Chang's Painting II Manifesto: What do I want to explore?
·      PAINT (as a material, as a being)
o   How much can I manipulate before paint’s qualities take over?
§  Color
§  Saturation (How much acrylic I mix into the pouring medium)
§  Technique (How I mix the acrylic into the pouring medium)
·      Keep it swirled (with the palette knife, suspended in the medium)
o   Translucent
·      Mix it completely (by shaking the jar of paint and medium)

·      TIME
o   The clear pouring medium captures time within its layers
§  Ephemerality
o   I lose control with time
§  Time takes over
§  What I originally draw is not what comes out
·      What is the final product?
§  Time takes over, I lose control

·      LIGHT + INSTALLATION
o   If there is no controlled light, the sunlight that shines through the windows takes control
o   If I can control the light source, do I want it above the plexiglass, so the shadow extends downward
o   If the viewer can control the light source with a flashlight, then every viewer’s experience differs
§  Will they be more able to see the overlapping layers of paint suspended in pouring medium?
o   Shadow
§  Shadow is enhanced the closer the plexiglass is installed on the wall

§   The shadow’s color depends on the saturation and color of the paint

No comments:

Post a Comment